If I was a rug, I'd simply wait in a store.
I'd wait and wait until someone came knocking at the door.
I'd be the happiest rug in the world when someone would pick me out and look at me.
If I was a rug I would try to gain attention and offer my help.
Perhaps this help would be keeping people's feet clean before they walked into a home.
Or even keeping them warm on a dark day.
I'd let myself be walked on, and would be happy at first that I was needed.
But slowly, so slowly, I would realize the extent to my use.
What was I good for?
Nothing.
After a while, people take you for granted.
They expect so much from a sweet little rug.
But if the sweet little rug becomes bitter and rough, it's their own fault, not those who used it.
In the end, they end up throwing the rug away.
They buy a new one, a nice little innocent rug.
And then you're gone from their lives.
----------
I wrote this poem as symbolism to something that recently happened in my life. I had people in my life who I thought were my friends. I thought they cared for me and loved me. It turns out they only used me for their own benefits. I was deeply damaged by this and felt like I could never trust anyone again.
But I know that life is harsh and cruel but we must keep pushing on and being courageous and kind. We cannot afford to have any more cruelty in this world that we live in today.
I hope that you can all be brave and kind and gentle.
Do it for others.
Do it for yourself.
xox
Leni

No comments:
Post a Comment