Monday, 12 February 2018

Greece 2017-2018 Trip


Hello, lovelies!

If you don't follow me on my other social media accounts (which you totally should), you may not know that I visited Greece during my winter break.

I had such an amazing time! There are so many words I can use to describe this place. Like breathtaking, beautiful, inspiring, etc. None of these words do Greece justice.

My father's side of the family is Greek and I grew up speaking it as my second language. It was cool to be different from other people in my neighbourhood who were all mostly of Italian heritage. I enjoyed (and still do enjoy) teaching people a bit about my culture and language.

This winter my dream finally came true and I flew to Greece with my dad to meet my Yiayia (grandmother in Greek) who was already there. My Papou (grandfather) had a house there and she goes every winter instead of staying in the cold snow of Montreal.


My Yiayia in Diros by the ocean



I had never been on a plane before and was super scared yet excited. It turned out to be a really cool experience.


View from the plane window over the Swiss Alps


We flew from Montreal to Zurich, Switzerland. From there, we flew to Athens, Greece. Then came the hard part. Driving to Sparta!

It took us about three hours but we finally made it to my Yiayia's village just outside of Sparta. She was so excited to see us and I was in awe of every passing moment. Life in Greece is truly different from here. Especially in the village.


The view from my balcony in the village


Every morning I would be up by 5 a.m. because of my neighbours' roosters! It drove me crazy at first but then I got adjusted to it. I surprisingly dealt with no jet lag! I was extremely grateful for that.

We always started our mornings by opening the windows and doors to let the amazing sunlight in. It felt great to just lay in bed with the sun on me. I also ate oranges and had orange juice every day! There's an abundance of oranges in Greece and they're soooo tasty. We have three trees in our backyard! That's just crazy to believe, even now.


Some oranges waiting to be picked in my backyard


I'll be honest... We had some amazing food on our trip. Here's some pictures to make you jealous!!

Cookies N' Cream Frozen Yogurt



Koke - A Greek custard dessert



Chicken Gyro Pita



Gyro Pita



Chicken Gyro Pita



Tequila Sunrise



Bacon all-dressed pizza



Greek Coffee Frappe



Cookies N' Cream ice cream, chocolate, fudge, and Oreos waffle dessert


Okay, I'll stop now. You get the point. The food was good!

I explored the village as well!  It's so full of history and the people are extremely nice and friendly. I went to the old outdoor theatre, my great-grandfather's abandoned house, met some cool people, visited shops, bakeries, coffee shops, etc.

 Me at the bottom of the theatre steps



The view from the top of the theatre steps



My dad pointing towards his grandfather's abandoned house 



The view from my back balcony


I could go on about Greece, but this blog post is wayyy too long. I'll make a continuation to this post later on.

Hope you enjoyed this post and pictures.

Have a fantastic day, lovelies!

Leni

No comments:

Post a Comment