Monday, 17 April 2017

Following Your Passion

Hello!

I guess I'll just dive right into the update!

I've finished school and am waiting for my DEP (DEP stands for diplôme d'études professionnelles) in the mail from the government. I'm super excited to get it! I'm going to frame it and hang it in my room.

It's good to be proud of yourself. Following through with something isn't always, and I wasn't sure how I felt with this new program, straight away after high school. It was all new to me, and I was meeting new people for the first time in years. I would have to sit with them everyday. Make new friends. It was a crazy concept for my anxious brain.

I made some great friends, and had some awesome experiences. I'm sad it's over, but I learnt so much. Not only did I learn a new trade; I learnt more about myself, and my passions.

I had an internship to complete the course that lasted three weeks. They kept me as a freelancer for another week to complete the projects I had been working on. After that ended, I spent a few weeks at home, applying everywhere I could think of. I needed to do something with myself. I needed to get out of the house!

One day, I was updating my profile on LinkedIn, hoping to apply to more companies. I received a message from one of my previous teachers who I still stay in touch with. She told me a company she worked for, before her teaching days, was looking for a graphic designer to help in their prepress department. So I sent her my CV, she wrote me a reference letter, and sent it to the CEO.

I get a call the next day at like 11AM. I don't usually answer my phone, especially when it's an unknown caller and I'm half-asleep. Something told me to answer it, so I did. Sure enough, it was the CEO of the company my teacher referenced me to!

I had an interview the next day. It lasted 15 minutes. Then, when I got home, I realized I had a missed notification. It was an email telling me I had gotten the job and if I could start the next day. Obviously I took it.

So now I'm working 40 hours a week, and I couldn't be happier. I go to bed early, and wake up early, but it's so worth it! I take the bus and metro to get to and from work. It's an amazing feeling to set up meetings at the bank and to be able to treat yourself. I feel like I'm starting to learn more about this whole "grown-up" thing!

Overall, this is really good thing I've got going for me.

Also, I have money to shop for things I want. Like makeup or clothes! That's always a bonus.

I have created a Want List and a Need List.

The Want List is made up of a bunch of goals I would like to achieve. Some things on it are simple, like buying a new outfit or makeup. Other things are a bit more long-term, like buying an iMac or another camera. It's all goal and achievement oriented.

The Need List are things that I would use for my daily life. Some examples of what I've written down are pet supplies, hygienic products, and office supplies.

I'm super excited to be starting this new chapter in my life.

I highly encourage everyone to find something they love, and make a life out of it. Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind and want to go back to school to learn something else. For now, I'm happy where I am and can't complain.

You do you, friend!

Hope you take my advice, and find your passion.

Xox

Leni-Anne Blacker
aka
NightNerd18

No comments:

Post a Comment